The City of Gunnison is Gunnison County’s most populous community, as well as its county seat. It was named after its first known explorer, John Williams Gunnison, a United States military officer.
Gunnison City is located at an altitude of approximately 7,700 feet. It occupies a total area of about 3.2 square miles, all of which is composed entirely of land.
During the early 1800’s, the majority of Gunnison’s population was made up of fur traders, who made their living by hunting in the nearby rocky mountains. A mining boon throughout the state during the 1870’s resulted in an increase of the city’s population. The railroad was built shortly after in 1880, which helped improve the livelihood of Gunnison’s miners, farmers, and ranchers.
Today, Gunnison City is inhabited by a diverse group of residents which include students, entrepreneurs, designers, and artists. The city is steeped in the culture of the Old West and serves as an enjoyable haven for plenty of vacationers and residents who have a passion for the outdoors. Gunnison has a fun, laid back vibe and is home to plenty of natural wonders perfect for exhilarating recreational activities such as skiing, hiking, fishing, and boating.
Things to Do
- Hit the slopes at nearby Crested Butte and Monarch Mountain, two of Colorado’s best locations for skiing. Zoom through fantastic scenery set in the midst of the majestic Colorado Rocky Mountains, on snowy terrain that’s absolutely perfect for skiing or snowboarding.
- Take a trip to nearby Blue Mesa Lake, and enjoy fishing, boating, camping, and a variety of water sports. The lake is Colorado’s largest, and has three visitor centers where you can view exhibits and learn more about the history of the area.
- Whitewater adventurers can get their adrenaline fix via the thrilling rapids at some of the fastest flowing rivers in the west. The rivers and streams at Crested Butte, Almont, and Taylor Canyon are ideal locations for a day of rafting, kayaking, or stand-up paddle boarding.
- Visit the Gunnison Arts Center, a 12,000square foot community arts facility devoted to developing and exhibiting the works of some of Gunnison’s finest visual, literary, and performing artists. The Gunnison Arts Center boasts a 72-seat theater, three gallery exhibit spaces, a gallery shop, classrooms, and other great features.
- Gunnison is a big game hunter’s dream. The Colorado wilderness serves as the perfect hunting grounds for stalking elk, deer, or smaller game like wild turkey.
- World-class golf courses such as The Club at Crested Butte or the Dos Rios Golf Club are great locations for those looking to enjoy a good, challenging round of golf.
- Hikers and mountaineers can have unforgettable adventures exploring the various trails and scaling the tall mountains surrounding Gunnison. Trek through some of the most breathtaking scenery and admire unique rock formations, majestic canyons, and stunning wildflower displays.
- Spend an enjoyable day of shopping at Gunnison’s main streets. Go hunting for one-of-a-kind treasures at shops, boutiques, or art galleries. If you’re looking to purchase or rent outdoor gear or apparel, you’ll find everything you need at many of the local outdoor gear shops scattered around the city.
- Looking to grab a bite? Drop by Downtown Gunnison and try out a diverse selection of culinary delights perfect for any palette. There are steakhouses, Italian restaurants, cafés, and fine dining establishments that are great for a night out with friends and family or a romantic dinner.
Gunnison Real Estate
Whether you’re looking for a home or a great investment opportunity at Gunnison, there are plenty of fine options when it comes to real estate. Choose from charming two to four-bedroom condos close to downtown amenities, spacious single-family homes with great views of the Elk Mountain Range, and beautiful log homes hidden under a canopy of tall aspen and pine trees. There’s also plenty of lands available for those looking to build their dream home.