The historic mountain town of Almont is an unincorporated community nestled between Gunnison and Crested Butte. It is located on State Route 135, and is under 15 minutes away by car from the city of Gunnison. The town sits right at the area where the Taylor and East Rivers converge to form the headwaters of the Gunnison River.
The town was originally named “Fisher” after founder Samuel C. Fisher, and was later on changed to Almont in 1881. During the mining boom, ore used to be brought in from nearby area camps to Almont, for shipment to Gunnison. Eventually, the mining era reached its end, but Almont residents remained to enjoy the town’s peaceful, quiet atmosphere.
Today, the town is a favorite location for many fishermen, boaters, and outdoor enthusiasts. There’s a plethora of exciting outdoor activities to be enjoyed at Almont like camping, mountain biking, horseback riding, four-wheel driving, canoeing, and kayaking. During the winter, the town is a popular spot for activities such as snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing.
With spectacular scenery, friendly people, and a laid back, small-town atmosphere, Almont is the perfect location for those looking to enjoy a tranquil environment amidst beautiful, natural surroundings.
Things to Do
- During early spring to around mid-September, the Taylor River is a superb location for some of the best whitewater rafting in all of Colorado. Enjoy a ride on its crystal clear waters as it flows through breathtaking natural scenery surrounded by majestic canyon walls and towering pine trees.
- Fishing at Gunnison River is an activity that’s not to be missed. Rainbow trout, brown trout, kokanee salmon, and cut-bows are just some of the fish you can catch at the Gold Medal waters of the Gunnison River. Whether it’s fly fishing or spin fishing, the Gunnison River will provide you with a truly unforgettable experience.
- Head to the family-owned Almont Resort right in the heart of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Couples, families, corporate retreats and larger groups are all welcome at the resort. It features a 90-acre expanse great for a wide variety of outdoor activities such as horseback riding, fishing, rafting, wildlife viewing, downhill skiing, mountain biking, and many more.
- Take a trip to Three Rivers Resort and Outfitting, a relaxing outdoor getaway located right on the banks of the Taylor River. It features cabins originally built during the 1800’s, and is a short trip away from the Gunnison National Forest and the Almont Gorge. The resort is also home to the Three Rivers Smokehouse Restaurant, which serves some delicious BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, and other great dishes.
- Want to go camping? Pitch your tent at one of the ten campsites at the Almont Campground, located right next to the Gunnison River. Spend a night or two and admire the beautiful landscape surrounded by soaring aspen and cottonwood trees.
- Experienced hikers can trek through Henry Lake Trail, an approximately two-mile journey across stunning natural scenery that includes a serene lake.
- The Nugget Café Restaurant provides a pleasant dining atmosphere where one can sample delectable home-style cooking. Try their delicious homemade pies, avocado melt and fries, BBQ chicken sandwiches, and a great selection of breakfast meals.
Almont Real Estate
If you’re looking for a home or investment opportunity in Almont, there’s a fantastic selection of properties available. Choices range from cabin condos located in serene valleys, comfortable two to three-bedroom single-family homes overlooking the Gunnison River, and spacious five-bedroom homes with outdoor patios where you can enjoy views of the majestic valleys.